Tranquil relaxation but the experience needs work
Posted Dec 23, 2015
Here's the thing. Ras Nungwi is a great place to relax with private accommodations, as well as a great ocean view. There is also no locals on the beachfront that will bother you (most treat you as a walking wallet in Zanzibar). However, the beach itself is not as nice as the beaches in the main part of Nungwi (closer to the Z Hotel). The sand is not as rich and soft, and the water has quite a bit of coral. The downside though is the locals that will hassle you non-stop in the nicer beaches. So overall, a bit of a toss-up that will depend on the traveller.
- Decent accommodations that are private and secluded.
- Extremely friendly staff. One of the bar managers taught us the East African game of bao!
- Mgmt addressed certain concerns we had and upgraded our accommodations, which we greatly appreciated.
- Decent food and reasonable prices. Drinks however, were not reasonably priced.
- The airport transfer cost of US$80 (one-way) is egregious. I was able to arrange my own transfer with a local taxi to Stone Town for US$20. It is absolutely laughable that the hotel collects US$160 round-trip for an airport transfer, when you compare this to local prices
- What is also a joke is the USD to Tanzanian shilling exchange rate. Basically 20% worse than even an exchange in a tourist trap
- The walk to the main part of town takes more than the 15 minutes advertised. Closer to 45 minutes along the beach
- No Wi-Fi in the rooms (only in the common area)
- No TVs in the rooms.