Looked great on paper
Posted May 9, 2016 on Hotels
The hotel looked quite good on paper. And we paid $160 for the night -it is a lot but Zurich is insanely expensive with the current overvalued Swiss Franc.
Great location (walking distance of most Zurich highlights), large room (for European standards), probably all you can need in the room. We underestimated how important a 24-hour reception is in the Alps, so this is good. Front desk people are quite friendly (a rarity in this area) and do the best they can. 5 min walk from Zurich main train station (which also means 20 min from the airport).
But some other aspects failed in critical ways:
- the bed gave us no rest,
- they had to spend 25 minutes looking for our reservation (and resort to our phone),
- the internet was so poor that the connection would fail constantly (we were right on top of the lobby area/wifi router,
- so others may experience worse situations ... we did not complain because it was free wifi);
- Rooms numbered X11 to X15 may experience difficulties in sleeping at night (the entrance buzzes when a guest comes into the hotel at night... we are quite insensitive to noise and we were quite tired after hiking that day but this was really disruptive);
- We jumped into the 18-euro breakfast half an hour before closing (9:30am on a Sunday) and they have literally ran out of everything, with nothing more than some sad fruits, no bread left, and a mini omelette no larger than the diameter of a pepsi can.