Comfortable hotel with good access to Zurich
Posted Jan 7, 2014
Our stay at Hotel Meierhof was a pleasant one, for sure. We stayed there around the New Year holiday, as we could get a good deal with the Stay 3 nights, pay for 2 offer. The hotel is clean, quiet, and the staff is quite helpful.
The best thing about this place is, perhaps, the location. Horgen train station is right in front of the hotel and you can get to Zurich HB in 20 minutes if you take the S2 train; we constantly found this to be very convenient. If you plan to travel by public transport, however, please be aware that Horgen is two transport zones away from the Zurich main zone, so that's going to push up the travel costs somewhat.
There's also a large bus hub and a ferry dock next to it.
Some other good things:
- freshly-ground coffee and hot water machine in the lobby, freely accessible; the coffee tastes quite good!
- water bars on each floor, with still and sparkling water taps - the taste of the sparkling water was great
- nice view of the Zurich lake, both from the rooms (if you get a lake-facing room) and from the 5th floor breakfast restaurant
- a good selection of TV channels, including 3 BBC channels and ITV
Some not-so-good things:
- the pillows are awfully soft, almost as if half the filling was removed from each; we later realised that we could have asked replacements, but couldn't be bothered by that point
- limit of 2 devices connected to the wifi at one time
- slippers only on request
- no water heaters in the rooms