Australian Butterfly Sanctuary Admission
- More than 1,500 butterflies housed in 1 enormous aviary
- Spectacular landscaped gardens that replicate a rainforest
- Chance to go on a behind-the-scenes laboratory tour
- Incredible photo opportunities with these beautiful insects
- Moth exhibit that includes the world's largest species
Australian Butterfly Sanctuary Admission in English
Live Commentary in English.
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- Children 3 and younger are complimentary.
- The sanctuary is open 7 days a week from 9:45 AM to 3 PM.
- Covid restrictions may apply, please check the Queensland Government Website for up-to-date covid information. covid19.qld.gov.au
What you can expect
Wander through a lush garden that replicates a rainforest environment and find yourself in the company of more than 1,500 butterflies. This is the largest conservatory of its kind in Australia, and it gives you the opportunity to go behind the scenes to learn about these magnificent creatures.
The internationally acclaimed Australian Butterfly Sanctuary, open since 1987, is one of the world's largest butterfly aviaries. On this memorable visit, you have the chance to come face-to-face with colorful species, including the beautiful green-and-yellow Cairns Birdwing. Not only are butterflies found here, but also some of their less colorful relatives, including the huge Hercules moth, which can reach wingspans of 14 inches (36 cm).
To make the most of your visit, wear bright white or red clothing, as these are the colors most attractive to the butterflies. Get some incredible photo opportunities as butterflies flit and flutter around you, even casually landing on you if you keep still. More than just an entertaining excursion, you can also learn more about the life cycles of butterflies in the laboratory, where daily tours are offered. Visit the caterpillar breeding nursery, where you can see caterpillars in various stages of development, as well as some newly emerged, baby butterflies.
Cleaning and safety practices
Enhanced cleanliness measures
- High-touch surfaces cleaned and disinfected
- Contactless ticket redemption
- Social distancing measures in place
- Protective shields in place at main contact areas
- Personal protective equipment worn by staff
- Hand sanitizer provided
- Masks provided
More you might like for your dates
Kuranda tour via Kuranda Scenic Rail and Skyrail - small group tour6h4.8/5(63)Free cancellation available
Price is $119 per adult