Visitors to Berchtesgaden are sure to enjoy the mountain views. Tourists can also enjoy the city's lakeside setting, local tours, and ski areas. Around the area, top sights include Hellbrunn Palace, Fortress Hohensalzburg, and Salzburg Cathedral.
- There are 25 hotels and other accommodations in Berchtesgaden
- The closest major airport is in Salzburg (SZG-W.A. Mozart), 10.4 mi (16.8 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Berchtesgaden
The city's cultural venues include Salt Mine Berchtesgaden and Haus der Berge. Additionally, you might want to add Eagle's Nest to your agenda.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 25 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in Berchtesgaden. Below are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Kempinski Hotel Berchtesgaden - This 5-star hotel in Upper Bavaria features a full-service spa, ski slopes, and 2 restaurants. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its bar and comfortable beds.
- Alpenhotel Fischer - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 4-star hotel in Upper Bavaria features free breakfast, a restaurant, and an indoor pool.
- Alpenhotel Garni Weiherbach - This hotel in Upper Bavaria features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Hellbrunn Palace, 8.4 mi/13.5 km from the heart of the city, and Fortress Hohensalzburg, which is 10.7 mi/17.2 km away.
Getting Around Berchtesgaden
To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Berchtesgaden Central Station. Berchtesgaden might not have many public transit options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Berchtesgaden
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 53°F and the nighttime average to be 26°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 74°F during the day and 37°F at night
- July through September averages 76°F during the day and 46°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 63°F during the day and 26°F at night
- Berchtesgaden gets about 1.02 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 74°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 27°F