Macon has always been a central hub for Georgia, and the south east. During the mid 1800s' Macon was a central point for transport of cotton, Georgia's leading export at the time. This grain dispenser used to be directly over the train yard. Now it rusts as a monument to the history of Macon. One of Georgia’s most distinguished structures, the Johnston-Felton-Hay House in Macon was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974. It was built from 1855 to 1859 in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, a marked contrast to the more restrained Greek Revival architecture of the antebellum period.
The 18,000-square-foot mansion spans four levels and is crowned by a three-story cupola. Commissioned by imaginative owners and constructed by the most skillful workers of the time, its technological amenities were unsurpassed in the mid-19th century: hot and cold running water, central heat, a speaker-tube system, in-house kitchen and an elaborate ventilation system.
Only two families lived in Hay House over three generations. Most of the museum’s furnishings date from the Hay family’s occupancy (1926-1962). A few pieces are from the Johnston family (1860-1896), most notably the Eastlake-style dining room suite. The most important piece in the collection may be the 1857 marble statue, This is Luther Williams Field. It has been home to a number of teams, most recently The Macon Peaches, a minor league team. It began it's long tenure as a field early in the 1900s'. It is one of the longest lasting and still enduring fields in the nation.
More recently a movie, 42, was partially filmed here and the surrounding Macon area. The movie is the story of Jackie Robinson, the first African American player to play in the National Baseball League. It opens April 2nd. The field seen in the movie and the tunnel that is seen in the posters was here. You can now walk around this field and even today, there are still baseball games played here.
This field has been home to some famous players. During the their minor league tenure Pete Rose, Tony Perez, Andrew Jones, and Chipper Jones called this park home. Chipper Jones number, 10, will be retired this year at the Braves stadium.
#cinematrove Macon's old buildings offer a look back in time, to when it was a thriving industrial Mecca of Georgia Iconic train tracks of south Macon. The history of Roman Catholicism in Macon dates to a visit in 1829 by Bishop John England of the Diocese of Charleston and the subsequent migration of Irish Catholic families in the 1830s. In 1841, Macon's Catholics received their first pastor, Father James Graham. A succession of buildings and sites was purchased and used by Macon's Catholics during the nineteenth century, until the construction of St. Joseph's Catholic Church at this location from 1889-1903. This Gothic Revival structure, designed by Brother Cornelius Otten, features a domed cupola, flying buttresses, stained-glass windows from Bavaria, and a high altar of Carrara marble. A great place to study the early history of Native Americans. I loved just walking these grounds and trying to imagine what it was like when their civilization was at its peak. The Beaux-Arts style McCaw-Massee House at 615 College Street is called Look out from heart tower, tilt-shift The Macon boxing club. I didn't go in, but by the van out front I assume it's still open. It's attached to an abandoned building. Macon is like this. Even in bad times, Macon prevails. Finding places to set up shop even if they are using only half a building. Old abandoned building in downtown Macon. Sidney Lanier, poet, linguist, musician, mathematician and lawyer, was born in this cottage on February 3, 1842. He graduated from Oglethorpe University, then at Milledgeville, served as a private in the Confederate Army and was captured while commanding a blockade runner. Lanier was married in 1867 to Mary Day of Macon where he practiced law with his father. Moving to Maryland, he lectured at Johns Hopkins while carrying on his writing. He died at Lynn, North Carolina on September 7, 1881. Among his best known works are This Georgian residence (the Beall-Jordan-Dunlap House) at 315 College Street was built in 1860 for Nathan Beall, who amassed a fortune as a cotton plantation owner. Beall later sold it to Leonadius H. Jordan, a wealthy planter and proprietor of the Academy of Music. Jordan died in 1899, and his wife occupied the house until 1906. In 1969, the home was featured on the Allman Brothers' debut album, and in the 1970's and 1980's, it housed a popular restaurant, Beall's 1860 Inn. The Beall home was donated by its owners to Mercer University's School of Engineering in April 2009. This abandoned building has been many things, most recently a paint store and building supplies. Macon offers so many old buildings in disarray. It's an interesting feeling to walk down streets that are 60+ years old and none of them are in use, but most still show what I was like 60 years ago. Built in 1840 for Judge Thaddeus Holt by renowned Macon builder Elam Alexander, the Holt House at 1129 Georgia Avenue is an outstanding example of Greek Revival architecture. A way of life long past is represented in its basement accommodations for servants and it's wine and meat cellars. Judge Holt's granddaughter, Nanaline, was born in this house and married James Duke of North Carolina. The couple's daughter, Doris, nationally known as the This house, built in 1853 by Judge Asa Holt, was struck by a cannon ball from Gen. Stoneman's guns in East Macon during the Battle of Dunlap's Hill. July 30, 1864, when the Union army tried unsuccessfully to take Macon. The ball, now in the possession of the Macon Volunteers, struck the sand sidewalk, passed through the second column from the left, entered the parlor over a window and landed unexploded in the hall. Its course may may be traced by the mended column, a patch in the parlor plaster and a dent in the hall floor. The house is still the residence of a descendant of Judge Holt. Built in 1886, by the cotton merchant Calder Willingham, the Willingham-Hatcher House at 348 College Street was inherited in 1910 by his son, who conducted intensive renovations, drastically changing its appearance. The original cupola was removed, and the two smaller front and side porches were joined into one wraparound porch supported by columns of Georgia marble. The curved porch on the right, partially obscured by trees, echoes the lines of the original circular gazebo porch of the 1886 home. It is a private residence. Old mills are part of Macon. Everywhere is an old grindstone mill or 1960s' mill connected to a railway. This one is still in operation near the Macon junction. They don't take kindly to people walking around, found out by experience. But you can see most of the dilapidated rustic machinery from the road or their drive. Organized as the Presbyterian Church of Macon on June 18, 1826, by the Rev. Benjamin Gildersleeve and the Rev. Joseph C. Stiles, the church dedicated this house of worship, its third on September 19, 1858, at the close of the ministry of the Rev. Robert L. Breck. Mr. Stiles was the first pastor; Matthew Robertson and Samuel B. Hunter, ordained October 14, 1827, the first elders.
This church was host for formation of the Synod of Georgia in 1844 with Dr. Thomas Goulding, founder and first president of Columbia Seminary, as moderator. His son, the Rev. Francis R. Goulding, author of The Young Marooners, served here in the 60's by preaching to the Negro members, who withdrew to form Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1866. This is the mother Church also of Tattnall Square (1887), Vineville (1904), and East Macon (1906),
It was the younger Goulding who took over the city-wide Thanksgiving service commanded here by Union General Wilson at the close of the War Between the States because the pastor, the Rev. David Willis, was overcome by the mockery of the occasion. Goulding's service consisted of reading Psalm 137
photo by

Get an overview of this hotelRiverfront bed & breakfast with free breakfast and free valet parking

Popular property highlights

Breakfast included
Free self parking
Free valet parking
Free WiFi
Pets allowed

Location

Situated near the airport, this bed & breakfast is within a 10-minute walk of Carmichael House, Hay House, and Cannonball House. Sidney Lanier Cottage and St. Joseph's Catholic Church are also within 15 minutes.

Property Features

A business center, a meeting room, and a 24-hour front desk are available at this smoke-free bed & breakfast. Free full breakfast, free WiFi in public areas, and free valet parking are also provided. Other amenities include express check-out, free newspapers, and tour/ticket assistance.

Room Amenities

All 19 rooms provide free WiFi, premium bedding, and cable TV. Free newspapers, ceiling fans, and hair dryers are among the other amenities that guests will find.

Languages Spoken

Bed & Breakfast Amenities

Bed & Breakfast Amenities

Wireless Internet access is complimentary. This 3.5-star property offers access to a business center and a meeting room. A complimentary breakfast is offered each morning. This business-friendly bed & breakfast also offers tour/ticket assistance, a garden, and a picnic area. Onsite self parking and valet parking are complimentary.

1842 Inn is a smoke-free property.

  • Picnic area 
  • Luggage storage 
  • 24-hour front desk 
  • Free breakfast 
  • Business center 
  • Porter/bellhop 
  • Express check-out 
  • Tours/ticket assistance 
  • Total number of rooms - 19 
  • One meeting room 
  • Free self parking 
  • Free WiFi 
  • Number of floors - 2 
  • Free valet parking 
  • Smoke-free property 
  • Garden 
  • Fireplace in lobby 
  • Free newspapers in lobby 

Internet

Available in all rooms: Free WiFi

Available in some public areas: Free WiFi

Languages Spoken

  • English

Parking

Free self parking, Free valet parking

Room Amenities

  • Premium bedding 
  • In-room climate control (air conditioning) 
  • Air conditioning 
  • Free newspaper 
  • Ceiling fan 
  • Daily housekeeping 
  • Bathrobes 
  • Hair dryer 
  • Iron/ironing board 
  • Desk 
  • Cable TV service 
  • Free WiFi 
  • Number of bathrooms -  
  • Private bathroom 
  • Shower/tub combination 
  • Phone 
  • Turndown service 
  • Free cribs/infant beds 
  • Rollaway/extra beds (free) 

Where to Eat

Guests are offered a complimentary full breakfast each morning.

Nearby Things to Do

The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or nearby; fees may apply.

  • Hiking/biking trails nearby 

Accessibility

If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.

Bed & Breakfast Policies

Check-in

Check-in time ends at 9 PM

Check-in time starts at 3 PM

Special check-in instructions:

If you are planning to arrive after 9 PM please contact the property in advance using the information on the booking confirmation.

Check-out

Check-out time is 11 AM

Children and extra beds

  • Children are welcome.
  • Free rollaway/extra beds!
  • Free cribs (infant beds)!

Pets

  • Pets allowed with a deposit of USD 50 per stay

You need to know

Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.

Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.

Fees

Optional extras

The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
  • Pet deposit: USD 50 per stay
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.

Bed & Breakfast Name

  • 1842 Inn
  • 1842 Inn Macon
  • 1842 Macon
  • 1842 Hotel Macon

Sorry, we seem to have had an issue loading our review content. Try again?

Top Positive Review

Top Positive Review

Top Critical Review