Families will find kid-friendly activities in Altoona, and visitors give high marks for the shopping and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its sporting events, university setting, and mountain views.
- There are 54 hotels and other accommodations in Altoona
- The closest major airport is in Altoona, PA (AOO-Blair County), 15.8 mi (25.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Johnstown, PA (JST-John Murtha Johnstown - Cambria County), 26.6 mi (42.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Altoona
Cultural venues in the city include Railroaders Memorial Museum, Quaint Corner Children's Discovery Center, and 321 Gallery. Families come for attractions such as DelGrosso's Amusement Park, Lincoln Caverns and Whisper Rocks, and Lakemont Park and the Island Waterpark. The city is notable for landmarks like Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark, Baker Mansion, and Fort Roberdeau.
In Altoona, you'll find 54 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Altoona - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Altoona - Our customers like the dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Wingate by Wyndham Altoona Downtown/Medical Center - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its bar and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Getting Around Altoona
If you want to journey outside of the area, hop aboard a train from Altoona Transportation Center, Tyrone Station, or Huntingdon Station. Altoona might not have many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Altoona
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 53°F and the nighttime average to be 20°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 80°F during the day and 34°F at night
- July through September averages 82°F during the day and 46°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 66°F during the day and 20°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Altoona is 35.64 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 80°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 21°F