Families will find kid-friendly activities in Carlsbad, and visitors give high marks for the beaches, theme park, and shopping. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its welcoming locals. Top sights in the city include Legoland California and Carlsbad Premium Outlets.
- There are 165 hotels and other accommodations in Carlsbad
- The closest major airport is in Carlsbad, CA (CLD-McClellan-Palomar), 0.7 mi (1.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Diego, CA (MYF-Montgomery Field), 23.4 mi (37.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Carlsbad
Favorite family attractions include Legoland California and Sealife Aquarium. The beaches and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Flower Fields of Carlsbad, Batiquitos Lagoon Foundation Nature Center, and Carlsbad Lagoon. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Carlsbad Premium Outlets is a favorite for retail therapy.
In Carlsbad, you'll find 165 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect vacation. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- West Inn & Suites - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its clean rooms.
- Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, Spa & Golf Club - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and dining options at this resort. This 5-star resort features 2 outdoor pools, a full-service spa, and a golf course.
- Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara, North San Diego - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 2 outdoor pools and a full-service spa, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
In the surrounding area, popular places to see include La Jolla Cove, located 19 mi (30.6 km) from the heart of the city, and San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which is 16.7 mi/26.9 km away.
Getting Around Carlsbad
If you want to venture outside of the area, ride aboard one of the trains from Carlsbad Village Station. Carlsbad might not have many public transit options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Carlsbad
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 66°F during the day and 40°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 75°F, while the average at night is 47°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 77°F with nighttime averages of 56°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 75°F and nighttime averages of 40°F
- Average annual rainfall for Carlsbad is 12.72 inches
- Usually September and August are the hottest months with an average of 77°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 40°F