History buffs will enjoy exploring Poughkeepsie, and visitors give high marks for the riverfront, college vibe, and fun sporting events. Tourists who journey to this scenic city can discover its entertainment choices, theaters, and restaurants. Top sights in the city include Catskill Mountains and Minnewaska State Park.
- There are 167 hotels and other accommodations in Poughkeepsie
- The closest major airport is in Newburgh, NY (SWF-Stewart Intl.), 16.3 mi (26.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Danbury, CT (DXR-Danbury Municipal), 32.3 mi (52 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Poughkeepsie
Well-known for its theaters, the city's cultural venues include Bardavon 1869 Opera House, Chance Theater, and Locust Grove. Attractions like SplashDown Beach, Dutchess County Fairgrounds, and McCann Ice Arena are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Mid-Hudson Bridge, Poughkeepsie Bridge, and Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site.
In Poughkeepsie, you'll find 167 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Brinckerhoff Inn - This 4-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast - Our customers like the convenient parking and clean, quiet rooms at this B&B. This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Stonegate Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and WiFi.
Other top sights in Poughkeepsie include Catskill Mountains and Minnewaska State Park. Popular places to see in the area include Bear Mountain State Park, located 28 mi (45.1 km) from the heart of the city, and Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, which is 28.5 mi (45.9 km) away.
Getting Around Poughkeepsie
To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Poughkeepsie Station or Appalachian Trail. Poughkeepsie might not have many public transit options so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Poughkeepsie
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 54°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 15°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 31°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 85°F during the day and 45°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 69°F as the daytime average and 17°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Poughkeepsie is 46.61 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 83°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 17°F