Visiting San Marcos
Families will find kid-friendly activities in San Marcos, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, top-notch restaurants, and shopping. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its breweries and sporting events. Legoland California, Carlsbad Premium Outlets, and San Diego Zoo Safari Park are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 10 hotels and other accommodations in San Marcos
- The closest major airport is in Carlsbad, CA (CLD-McClellan-Palomar), 6.6 mi (10.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Diego, CA (MYF-Montgomery Field), 23 mi (37 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in San Marcos
A couple of favorite places to visit are California State University San Marcos and Palomar College. Additionally, in the area you'll find Legoland California and Carlsbad Premium Outlets.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 10 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in San Marcos. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites San Diego North/San Marcos - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its convenient parking and helpful staff.
- Lakehouse Hotel and Resort - Our customers like the beach locale and overall value at this resort. With a stay at this 4-star resort, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Hampton Inn San Marcos, CA - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its clean, comfortable rooms and room size.
A top sight in the surrounding area is San Diego Zoo Safari Park, located 9.9 mi (15.9 km) from the heart of the city.
Dressing for San Marcos
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 73°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 42°F
- From April to June, the average is 85°F during the day and 49°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 89°F during the day and 59°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 83°F as the daytime average and 41°F as the nighttime average
- San Marcos gets about 14.25 inches of rain per year
- August and September are usually the hottest months averaging 88°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 43°F