Visiting Santa Cruz
Travelers to Santa Cruz give high marks for the beaches, fun sporting events, and entertainment choices. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its walkable location. Top sights in the city include Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and Main Beach.
- There are 242 hotels and other accommodations in Santa Cruz
- The closest major airport is in Watsonville, CA (WVI-Watsonville Municipal), 19.3 mi (31 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Jose, CA (SJC-Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Intl.), 22.7 mi (36.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Santa Cruz
Cultural venues in the city include Santa Cruz Surfing Museum, Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History, and Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Exploration Center. Attractions like Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Roaring Camp Railroads are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for landmarks like Mystery Spot, Mission Santa Cruz, and Town Clock.
In Santa Cruz, you'll be able to select from 242 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- West Cliff Inn - A Four Sisters Inn - Guests who stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast in Westside Santa Cruz can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its convenient parking and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Monarch Cove Inn - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this B&B. This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Santa Cruz include Main Beach, Natural Bridges State Park, and Monterey Bay. Popular places to visit outside the city include Winchester Mystery House, 19 mi/30.6 km from the city center, and Westfield Valley Fair Shopping Mall, which is 19.4 mi (31.3 km) away.
Dressing for Santa Cruz
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 69°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 36°F
- From April to June, the average is 84°F during the day and 41°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 82°F as the daytime average and 36°F as the nighttime average
- About 49.92 inches of rain falls on Santa Cruz each year
- August and September are usually the hottest months averaging 85°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 37°F