Families will find kid-friendly activities in Wilkes-Barre, and visitors give high marks for the casinos, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its live music, riverfront, and entertainment choices. Mohegan Sun Arena, Montage Mountain Ski Resort, and Jack Frost Big Boulder are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 68 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Scranton
- The closest major airport is in Wilkes-Barre, PA (AVP-Scranton Intl.), 10.1 mi (16.3 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Wilkes-Barre
The university setting is a highlight of the city and Wyoming Seminary is worth a campus tour. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Mohegan Sun Arena and Seven Tubs Natural Area.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 22 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Wilkes-Barre. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hillard House Inn - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, quiet rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Best Western Plus Genetti Hotel & Conference Center - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Top places to visit around the area include Pocono Raceway, located 23.2 mi (37.3 km) from the city center, and Montage Mountain Ski Resort, which is 13.5 mi (21.7 km) away.
Dressing for Wilkes-Barre
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 52°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 18°F
- From April to June, the average is 81°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 82°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 66°F as the daytime average and 20°F as the nighttime average
- Wilkes-Barre gets about 38.27 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 80°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 20°F