Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Flagstaff, and visitors give high marks for the festivals, top-notch restaurants, and magnificent mountain views. This city also attracts tourists with its university setting, entertainment choices, and breweries. Top sights in the city include Lowell Observatory, Walnut Canyon National Monument, and Arizona Snowbowl.
- You'll find 555 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Grand Canyon
- The closest major airport is in Flagstaff, AZ (FLG-Flagstaff Pulliam Field), 4.3 mi (7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Sedona, AZ (SDX), 25.3 mi (40.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Flagstaff
Well-known for its festivals, the city's cultural venues include Museum of Northern Arizona, Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra, and West of the Moon Gallery. The city is notable for landmarks like Lowell Observatory, Heritage Square, and Riordon Mansion. The hiking trails and mountain views highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Walnut Canyon National Monument, Humphreys Peak, and Meteor Crater.
In Flagstaff, you'll find 432 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Residence Inn by Marriott Flagstaff - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and pool.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Flagstaff East - Our customers like the dining options and quiet location at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Flagstaff Northeast - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Flagstaff include Arizona Snowbowl and Oak Creek Canyon. Outside the city, popular places to see include Slide Rock State Park, located 18.6 mi (29.9 km) from the heart of the city, and Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is 26.2 mi (42.1 km) away.
Getting Around Flagstaff
If you want to venture outside of the area, ride aboard one of the trains from Flagstaff Station. Flagstaff might not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Flagstaff
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 54°F and the nighttime average to be 17°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 81°F during the day and 26°F at night
- July through September averages 82°F during the day and 37°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 68°F during the day and 16°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Flagstaff is 21.86 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and June with an average temperature of 80°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 17°F