Visiting Mackinac Island
History buffs will enjoy exploring Mackinac Island, and visitors give high marks for the shopping and lakeside setting. This quaint city also attracts tourists with its local tours.
- There are 13 hotels and other accommodations in Mackinac Island
- The closest major airport is in Mackinac Island, MI (MCD), 1.3 mi (2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Pellston, MI (PLN-Pellston Regional), 20.8 mi (33.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Mackinac Island
The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Robert Stuart House, Haunted Theatre, and Biddle House. The lakeside and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including The Original Mackinac Island Butterfly House & Insect World, Arch Rock, and Mackinac Island State Park. Biking, horseback riding, and taking a ferry are top activities, while sights to visit include The Jewel Golf Course and Wawashkamo Golf Club.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 13 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Mackinac Island. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hotel Iroquois - This 3-star hotel features a private beach, free breakfast, and a restaurant.
- The Lilac Tree Suites & Spa - Our customers like the helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a business center, along with free WiFi.
- Bicycle Street Inn and Suites - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its central location and clean, comfortable rooms.
Dressing for Mackinac Island
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 42°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 11°F
- From April to June, the average is 74°F during the day and 26°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 76°F during the day and 46°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 62°F as the daytime average and 16°F as the nighttime average
- Mackinac Island gets about 27.91 inches of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 75°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 13°F