Visiting Rapid City
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Rapid City, and visitors give high marks for the important monuments and water parks. This vibrant city also attracts tourists with its art. Top sights in the city include Custer State Park and Black Hills National Forest.
- There are 199 hotels and other accommodations in Rapid City
- The closest major airport is in Rapid City, SD (RAP-Rapid City Regional), 9.1 mi (14.7 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Rapid City
Well-known for its art scene, the city's cultural venues include Bear Country USA, Art Alley, and South Dakota Air and Space Museum. Families come for attractions such as Central States Fairgrounds, Reptile Gardens, and Storybook Island. The city is notable for its monuments and landmarks like Main Street Square, Berlin Wall Exhibit, and Chapel in the Hills.
In Rapid City, there are 199 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Black Forest Inn Bed & Breakfast - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Best Western Plus Rapid City Rushmore - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Coyote Blues Bed and Breakfast - This 2.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and quiet rooms.
Other top sights in Rapid City include Custer State Park and Black Hills National Forest. One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Mount Rushmore, located 18.1 mi (29.1 km) from the center of the city.
Dressing for Rapid City
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 13°F
- From April to June, the average is 81°F during the day and 26°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 40°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 67°F as the daytime average and 13°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Rapid City is 16.30 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 83°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 14°F