Visiting San Mateo
Families will find kid-friendly activities in San Mateo, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its festivals and sporting events. Around the area, top sights include Mavericks, Computer History Museum, and Twin Peaks.
- You'll find 565 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of San Francisco
- The closest major airport is in San Carlos, CA (SQL), 4 mi (6.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Francisco, CA (SFO-San Francisco Intl.), 6.3 mi (10.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in San Mateo
The city is well known for its festivals and cultural venues like Coyote Point Museum. The city's natural beauty is on display at Fiesta Meadows Park, Bay Meadows Park, and Paddock Park. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Hillsdale Shopping Center is a favorite for retail therapy.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 31 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in San Mateo. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- TownePlace Suites San Mateo Foster City - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and comfortable rooms.
- Residence Inn by Marriott San Mateo - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen.
- Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and comfortable beds.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Mavericks, 11 mi/17.7 km from the heart of the city, and Computer History Museum, which is 15.7 mi (25.3 km) away.
Getting Around San Mateo
If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from San Mateo Hayward Park Station, San Mateo Hillsdale Station, or San Mateo Station. San Mateo might not have very many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for San Mateo
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 65°F and the nighttime average to be 42°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 75°F during the day and 46°F at night
- July through September averages 78°F during the day and 53°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 76°F during the day and 42°F at night
- About 20.12 inches of rain falls on San Mateo each year
- Hottest months are usually September and August with an average temperature of 77°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 43°F