History buffs will enjoy exploring Southampton, and visitors give high marks for the popular theater scene, entertainment choices, and college vibe. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its museums and waterfront. Top sights around the area include Southampton Maritime Museum, Beaulieu National Motor Museum, and Winchester Cathedral.
- There are 140 hotels and other accommodations in Southampton
- The closest major airport is in Southampton (SOU), 3.9 mi (6.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Bournemouth (BOH-Bournemouth Intl.), 20.5 mi (33.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Southampton
The city is well known for its museums and theaters, and cultural venues include Southampton Maritime Museum, Tudor House and Garden, and Southampton Museum of Archaeology. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Old City Walls, Medieval Merchant's House, and Southampton Old Green. Exploring the waterfront is a top activity, and Swanmore Golf Centre is one place to visit.
In Southampton, you'll be able to select from 140 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- The White Lion - This 4-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Spot In The Woods - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a café, along with free WiFi.
- The Maples - With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable beds.
Popular places to see outside the city include Beaulieu National Motor Museum, located 5.8 mi (9.3 km) from the heart of the city, and Winchester Cathedral, which is 11.7 mi/18.9 km away.
Getting Around Southampton
With so many ways to get around, exploring all of Southampton is a breeze. If you want to journey outside of the area, hop aboard a train from Southampton Central Station, Southampton Woolston Station, or Southampton Millbrook Station. You can find out about your options for water transportation at the local marina.
Dressing for Southampton
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 54°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 38°F
- From April to June, the average is 69°F during the day and 42°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 72°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 62°F as the daytime average and 40°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Southampton is 1.06 inches
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 70°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 39°F