Visiting Tahoe City
Travelers to Tahoe City give high marks for the lakeside setting and ski areas. This walkable city also attracts tourists with its mountain views. Around the area, top sights include Northstar California Resort, Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe, and Bowers Mansion.
- You'll find 3394 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Lake Tahoe
- The closest major airport is in Truckee, CA (TKF-Truckee Tahoe), 10.2 mi (16.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Lake Tahoe, CA (TVL), 20.7 mi (33.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Tahoe City
The city's lakeside, hiking trails, and mountain views provide a picturesque setting, and places to visit include Commons Beach Park. Top activities include skiing and biking, while Tahoe City Marina, Granlibakken Resort Ski Area, and Tahoe Cross Country Ski Area are favorite sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Watson Cabin Museum and Watson Cabin Living Museum.
In Tahoe City, there are 308 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect vacation. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- The Cottage Inn - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale and helpful staff.
- Basecamp Tahoe City - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this motel. With a stay at this 3-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Sunnyside Restaurant & Lodge - This 3-star hotel features a marina, 2 restaurants, and free breakfast. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Northstar California Resort, located 7.2 mi (11.5 km) from the heart of the city, and Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe, which is 17.5 mi (28.1 km) away.
Dressing for Tahoe City
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 47°F and the nighttime average to be 19°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 73°F during the day and 25°F at night
- July through September averages 79°F during the day and 36°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 65°F during the day and 20°F at night
- Tahoe City gets about 33.78 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 76°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 20°F