History buffs will enjoy exploring Staunton, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants, entertainment choices, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its theaters and museums. Top sights around the area include George Washington National Forest and Wintergreen Resort.
- There are 63 hotels and other accommodations in Staunton
- The closest major airport is in Weyers Cave, VA (SHD-Shenandoah Valley Regional), 12.2 mi (19.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Charlottesville, VA (CHO-Charlottesville-Albemarle), 34.2 mi (55 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Staunton
Known for its theaters, museums, and opera, the city's cultural venues include American Shakespeare Center, Frontier Culture Museum, and Factory Antique Mall. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Trinity Episcopal Church, The Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library, and Swannanoa Palace. The city's natural beauty is on display at George Washington National Forest, Rockfish Gap Entrance Shenandoah, and Blue Ridge Parkway North Entrance.
In Staunton, you'll find 63 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Iris Inn Bed & Breakfast - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free parking, and a bar. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its bar and breakfast.
- Frederick House - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this B&B. With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- The Buckhorn Inn - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
A popular place to see in the surrounding area is Wintergreen Resort, 17.8 mi/28.6 km from the heart of the city.
Getting Around Staunton
If you want to explore the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Staunton Station. Staunton might not have many public transit options so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Staunton
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 60°F during the day and 21°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 85°F, while the average at night is 34°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 85°F with nighttime averages of 47°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 71°F and nighttime averages of 23°F
- About 44.41 inches of rain falls on Staunton each year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 84°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 23°F