Rekindle the romance in Los Cabos
Located on the tip of the Baja Peninsula, Los Cabos, Mexico, awaits couples longing for a romantic escape with beautiful, sandy beaches. In college, my husband and I loved the downtown party scene of Cabo San Lucas, but with two kids and celebrating 20 years together, we now choose Los Cabos for the slower pace and quiet poolside cabanas. While a popular vacation destination for Hollywood types, Cabo makes these busy parents, sans kids, feel like celebrities.
Jetsetters will fly in to San Jose del Cabo and jump in a certified airport taxi or resort shuttle for a short ride along the stunning coastline of the Sea of Cortez. Los Cabos sits on “The Corridor,” the road that connects San Jose del Cabo with Cabo San Lucas. We like to visit in the winter, generally October to May, when the weather is the best. We do most of our travel with kids, so when we get the rare chance to jet off by ourselves, we take it.
The One&Only Palmilla
Viewfinder Tip: Great deals on packages and flights can be found during the shoulder seasons of June and September.
Couples celebrating a special anniversary can vacation like a celebrity with a stay at the popular Hollywood hangout, The One&Only Palmilla. This five-star property is located on a private stretch of white sandy beach, with ocean views, a spa, and luxury oceanfront rooms. Spend your day people watching by the pool or rent a cabana on the beach. At night, take a midnight stroll down meandering paths illuminated by hundreds of candles, metal lanterns, and sculptures before a late-night dip in the oceanfront hot tub. For our big anniversary dinner, we made a reservation to watch the sunset and dine at One&Only’s Agua Mexiterranean Restaurant, where we sampled new wines from Mexico (that’s right, Mexican wines) and Mediterranean-inspired dishes.
The Westin Resort and Spa Los Cabos
On our last visit we stayed at The Westin Resort and Spa Los Cabos, spending our days relaxing by the infinity-edge pool that overlooked the ocean and sipping margaritas at the swim-up bar. We loved the relaxed, open-air feel to this property and separate adult pool. In between siestas, we indulged in an afternoon round of mini-golf on the beachfront course and visits to the spa. The Westin Los Cabos is a popular spot for destination weddings. Personal touches from the hotel include outlining a giant heart with the happy couples initials in the sand on the beach in front of the hotel.
Even the most avid pool loungers will enjoy spending a day exploring Cabo San Lucas and El Arco, or “Lands End,” a rock formation at the southern tip of Cabo San Lucas, where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez. A suggested romantic day trip to downtown Cabo includes:
- Depart to Cabo San Lucas: Take a hotel shuttle or taxi for a 20- or 30-minute drive into downtown Cabo San Lucas.
- Take a water taxi to El Arco and Lover’s Beach: No romantic weekend would be complete without a trip to El Arco and Lover’s Beach. From the marina, take a designated water taxi. Agree on the taxi fare with the captain ahead of time and check safety warnings for the surf on the Pacific Ocean side of the beach.
- Return for lunch at The Office: No shoes required for this lunch. This beachfront restaurant in Cabo is in the sand, steps from the ocean. Order a bucket of beers and the fresh fish tacos.
- Shop downtown Cabo San Lucas: Stroll the streets of Cabo and barter with store owners or shop brand name stores on the marina at the Puerto Paraiso shopping center.
- Book a romantic sunset dinner: Make reservations at Agua Mexiterranean at the One&Only Palmilla.
What is your idea of a perfect romantic getaway?
More Articles With Beach
Experiencing Mexico’s Caribbean coast