Families will find kid-friendly activities in Topeka, and visitors give high marks for the college vibe, fun sporting events, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its museums, restaurants, and entertainment choices.
- There are 85 hotels and other accommodations in Topeka
- The closest major airport is in Topeka, KS (FOE-Forbes Field), 7.2 mi (11.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Kansas City, MO (MCI-Kansas City Intl.), 53.8 mi (86.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Topeka
Well-known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Kansas Museum of History, Combat Air Museum, and Lawrence Arts Center. Families come for attractions such as Topeka Zoological Park, First Presbyterian Church Topeka, and Lawrence Outdoor Aquatic Center. The city is notable for landmarks like Ward Meade Park, Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site, and Old West Lawrence.
In Topeka, you'll find 85 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect vacation. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson Lawrence - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Best Western Plus West Lawrence - Our customers like the overall value and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- TownePlace Suites Lawrence Downtown - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
Getting Around Topeka
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Topeka Station or Lawrence Station. Topeka might not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Topeka
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 62°F during the day and 19°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 88°F, while the average at night is 38°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 90°F with nighttime averages of 50°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 74°F and nighttime averages of 20°F
- Average annual rainfall for Topeka is 36.50 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 88°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 22°F