Visiting Traverse City
Travelers to Traverse City give high marks for the festivals, array of wineries, and lakeside setting. This city also attracts tourists with its breweries, local tours, and shopping. Top sights in the city include Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Torch Lake, and Clinch Park Beach.
- There are 707 hotels and other accommodations in Traverse City
- The closest major airport is in Traverse City, MI (TVC-Cherry Capital), 2.8 mi (4.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Manistee, MI (MBL-Manistee County-Blacker), 46 mi (74 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Traverse City
Well-known for its festivals, the city's cultural venues include Old Town Playhouse, City Opera House, and Great Lakes Children's Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Mission Point Lighthouse, Point Betsie Lighthouse, and Historic Fishtown. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakeside and these places to visit: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Torch Lake, and Clinch Park Beach.
In Traverse City, there are 707 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Torch Lake Bed & Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features a marina, a private beach, and free breakfast. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Country Hermitage Bed and Breakfast - Our customers like the central location and helpful staff at this B&B. With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Torch Bay Inn - Amenities at this 2.5-star hotel include free parking. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and comfortable beds.
Other top sights in Traverse City include Front Street and Grand Traverse Bay. One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Torch Lake Park, 18.1 mi/29.2 km from the city center.
Dressing for Traverse City
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 46°F during the day and 14°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 79°F, while the average at night is 27°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 80°F with nighttime averages of 44°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 64°F and nighttime averages of 17°F
- Average annual rainfall for Traverse City is 33.11 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 79°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 16°F