Japanese Small Katana Forging Experience
4.9/54.9 out of 5
- Creation of a small knife under the watchful eye of a master
- Usage of the same process & materials as a traditional sword
- Visit to only remaining sword forge & swordsmith in Kyoto
- Perfect souvenir to take home, made with your own hands
- Special wooden box to take home & to display your handiwork
Private Japanese Small Katana Forging Experience
Tamahagane Japanese Small Katana Forging Experience
Forge your Japanese kogatana (small blade) with an only one artisan swordsmith in Kyoto. Learn about the traditional blade-forging process, which uses the same materials and techniques as a full-size katana. At the end of the experience, you can take the beautiful product of your creation home with you.
The forge is located 1 hour from central of Kyoto.
Meet your friendly and knowledgeable swordsmith at the forge, and begin your hands-on smithing lesson.
All the process as below in 4 hours of activity:
1.Hidukuri（火造り）Heat with iron charcoal. Tap with a hand to make iron into a knife shape
2.Yakinamashi（焼きなまし）Heating iron up to 700 degrees, then, put it in the straw charcoal to cool down.
(For preparing iron particles)
3.Tuchitori（土取り）Put soil to distinguish where you want to bake and where you do not want to bake when quenching iron.
4.Meigiri（銘切り）Carve a name with chisel
5.Yakiire（焼入れ）Work to harden the blade edge. Heat to 750 degrees, then quench with water.
Then, take home your very own kogatana to cherish forever.
※ 1 Please kindly understand that the reservation might be asked for editing the date or the time as the limited participant numbers.
※ 2 For booking guests only. Unauthorized persons are prohibited.Unauthorized persons are prohibited.
What's included, what's not
Know before you book
- Children 9 and younger are not allowed.
- Maximum group size is 8 people.
- For 1–4 people the experience will take approximately 4 hours. For 5–8 people the experience will take approximately 8 hours. Please choose the 9 AM start time if you are a group of more than 5 people.
- Please kindly understand that the reservation might be asked for editing the date or the time as the limited participant numbers.
- This activity begins at in Kameoka, which is approximately 1 hour away from central Kyoto. Detailed address and map will be provided upon confirmation. You must make your own way to the meeting point.
- Check-in is 10 minutes prior to the booked tour start time.
- Additional fee for English interpreter.
- For booking guests only. Unauthorized persons are prohibited.
- From JR.Kameoka station only taxi is transportation to forge place. Which take 20 minute.
What you can expect
Forge your very own Japanese kogatana (small blade) with an artisan swordsmith. Learn about the traditional blade-forging process, which uses the same materials and techniques as a full-size katana. At the end of the experience, take the beautiful product of your creation home with you.
Meet your friendly and knowledgeable swordsmith at the forge, and begin your hands-on smithing lesson. Begin to work away at transforming raw metal into a delicate instrument of your design as the expert swordsmith guides the process with a steady hand.
Pick up a wealth of knowledge on the traditional craft, including the precise nature of the materials and how the process scales up when producing a full-sized Japanese sword. In between sweaty forging sessions, marvel at the natural beauty of the Kameoka region, which has served as a filming site for many Japanese movies. At the end of your artisan crafting session, take home your very own kogatana to cherish forever.