Travelers to Athens give high marks for the college vibe, fun sporting events, and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its live music, theaters, and entertainment choices. Top sights in the city include Classic Center and Sanford Stadium.
- There are 139 hotels and other accommodations in Athens
- The closest major airport is in Athens, GA (AHN-Ben Epps), 3 mi (4.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Atlanta, GA (PDK-DeKalb-Peachtree), 53.4 mi (85.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Athens
The city is well known for its live music and theaters, and cultural venues include Classic Center, 40 Watt Club, and Georgia Museum of Art. The city is notable for landmarks like Taylor-Grady House, T.R.R. Cobb House, and North Broad Street Residential Historic District. The city's natural beauty is on display at State Botanical Garden of Georgia, Fort Yargo State Park, and Sandy Creek Park.
In Athens, you'll be able to select from 139 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Athens Downtown/University Area - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a 24-hour fitness center, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and helpful staff.
- Hyatt Place Athens/Downtown - Our customers like the beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a 24-hour fitness center, along with free WiFi.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Athens West - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, quiet rooms.
Other top sights in Athens include Sanford Stadium.
Dressing for Athens
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 70°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 33°F
- From April to June, the average is 91°F during the day and 46°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 92°F during the day and 57°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 79°F as the daytime average and 33°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Athens is 46.33 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 90°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 34°F