Families will find kid-friendly activities in Carbondale, and visitors give high marks for the college vibe, top-notch restaurants, and shopping. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its sporting events. Top sights in the city include Shawnee National Forest and Rend Lake.
- There are 79 hotels and other accommodations in Carbondale
- The closest major airport is in Marion, IL (MWA-Williamson County Regional), 11.4 mi (18.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Cape Girardeau, MO (CGI-Cape Girardeau Municipal), 39.5 mi (63.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Carbondale
Cultural venues in the city include Veterans Military Museum, Benton Civic Center, and General John A. Logan Museum. Families come for attractions such as Williamson County Fairgrounds, Franklin County Fairgrounds, and Pinckneyville Fairgrounds. The city is notable for landmarks like Railroaders Memorial, Tower Square Plaza, and Coal Miner's Memorial Park.
In Carbondale, there are 79 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion Northeast - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Marion I-57 - Our customers like the overall value and pool at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free parking.
- Hampton Inn Carbondale - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and convenient parking.
Other top sights in Carbondale include Shawnee National Forest and Rend Lake.
Getting Around Carbondale
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Carbondale Station or Du Quoin Station. Carbondale might not have very many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Carbondale
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 63°F during the day and 23°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 89°F, while the average at night is 39°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 89°F with nighttime averages of 49°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 76°F and nighttime averages of 23°F
- Average annual rainfall for Carbondale is 47.17 inches
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 88°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 25°F