Visiting Jim Thorpe
History buffs enjoy visiting Jim Thorpe though all visitors are sure to find something to appreciate. Tourists can also enjoy the city's riverfront, mountain views, and local tours. Top sights around the area include Blue Mountain Ski Area, Pocono Raceway, and Camelback Ski Area.
- You'll find 69 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Hazleton
- The closest major airport is in Allentown, PA (ABE-Lehigh Valley Intl.), 23.5 mi (37.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Wilkes-Barre, PA (AVP-Scranton Intl.), 28.4 mi (45.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Jim Thorpe
Cultural venues in the city include Mauch Chunk Opera House, Mauch Chunk Museum, and Old Jail Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks such as Asa Packer Mansion Museum. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary and Jim Thorpe Memorial.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 23 hotels and other lodging options available to select from in Jim Thorpe. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Parsonage B&B - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Hill Home Forge - Our customers like the breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms at this B&B. This 2.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Inn at Jim Thorpe - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free Internet. Expedia customers like its bar and helpful staff.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Blue Mountain Ski Area, 12.1 mi/19.4 km from the heart of the city, and Pocono Raceway, which is 13.6 mi (21.9 km) away.
Dressing for Jim Thorpe
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 54°F and the nighttime average to be 14°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 83°F during the day and 31°F at night
- July through September averages 84°F during the day and 44°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 69°F during the day and 17°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Jim Thorpe is 52.87 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 83°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 17°F