History buffs will enjoy exploring Leiden, and all visitors are sure to appreciate the museums. Tourists who journey to this culturally-rich city can discover its local tours, university setting, and entertainment choices. Wet 'n Wild, Madurodam, and Escher Museum are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 386 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of The Hague
- The closest major airport is in Rotterdam (RTM-Rotterdam The Hague), 14.8 mi (23.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Amsterdam (AMS-Schiphol), 15.4 mi (24.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Leiden
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Museum Boerhaave, Leiden American Pilgrim Museum, and Rijksmuseum van Oudheden. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Waag, Burcht, and Marekerk. Taking local tours is a top activity, and Old Observatory is one place to visit.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 26 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Leiden. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Boutique Hotel De Barones van Leyden - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and central location.
- Steenhof Suites - Our customers like the helpful staff and proximity to shopping at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features a marina, free WiFi, and a fitness center.
- Boutique Hotel d'Oude Morsch - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a marina, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers love its quiet location and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Top places to visit around the area include Wet 'n Wild, located 8.1 mi (13 km) from the city center, and Madurodam, which is 9.1 mi (14.7 km) away.
Getting Around Leiden
If you want to journey outside of the city, hop aboard a train from Leiden Central Station, Leiden Lammenschans Station, or De Vink Station. Leiden might not have very many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Leiden
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 33°F
- From April to June, the average is 67°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 70°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 60°F as the daytime average and 35°F as the nighttime average
- Leiden gets about 32.36 inches of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 68°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 34°F