Families will find kid-friendly activities in Rotorua, and visitors give high marks for the relaxing spas and lakeside setting. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its hot springs. Top sights in the city include Tamaki Maori Village, Polynesian Spa, and Skyline Rotorua.
- There are 325 hotels and other accommodations in Rotorua
- The closest major airport is in Rotorua (ROT-Rotorua Regional), 4.1 mi (6.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Tauranga (TRG), 32.4 mi (52.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Rotorua
Cultural venues in the city include Tamaki Maori Village, Mitai Maori Village, and Agrodome. Families come for attractions such as Skyline Rotorua, Rainbow Springs Kiwi Wildlife Park, and Zorb. The city is notable for landmarks like Polynesian Spa, Blue Baths, and Whakarewarewa: The Living Maori Village.
In Rotorua, you'll find 325 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- B&B @ the Redwoods - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and comfortable rooms.
- Hamurana Lodge - Our customers like the pool and helpful staff at this lodge. With a stay at this 4-star lodge, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Arista of Rotorua - This 3.5-star motel in Fenton Street features free WiFi, free parking, and a library. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Rotorua include Lake Rotorua, Lake Rotoiti, and Lake Tarawera. A popular place to see outside the city is Orakei Korako Geothermal Park and Cave, 23.9 mi/38.5 km from the heart of the city.
Dressing for Rotorua
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 77°F and the nighttime average to be 52°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 70°F during the day and 41°F at night
- July through September averages 64°F during the day and 40°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 75°F during the day and 46°F at night
- About 42.20 inches of rain falls on Rotorua each year
- Hottest months are usually January and February with an average temperature of 76°F, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 41°F