Browse the surviving buildings of the Dominican Church and admire the frescos in one off the earliest Gothic structures in South Tyrol. The adjoining cloisters are all that remains of a medieval Dominican monastery. Dating back to the 13th century, the church blends early Gothic design with Baroque-style features that were added several centuries later.
Learn about the history of the church. It was initially part of a monastery set up by Dominican friars in the 13th century, before Emperor Joseph II dissolved it in 1785. During World War II, the monastery was damaged by bombs and many of the paintings here were fragmented as a result.
Arrive at the spacious Piazza Domenicani (Dominican Square), a quiet plaza next to the church. Capture photos of the religious structure’s simple façade. Soak up the tranquil atmosphere inside the nave.
The church and cloisters are known for their collection of exquisite religious paintings. Peruse the various frescoes that adorn the walls of the interior. Among the highlights here is the Chapel of San Giovanni (Chapel of St. John), which contains a cycle of frescos from the Giotto school.
The church is open daily, while the cloisters open from Monday to Saturday. Entry is free but bring along a few coins to switch on the lights inside.
Find the Dominican Church just west of the Cathedral of Bolzano in the center of the city. Arrive by train at the Bolzano Railway Station and walk west for around 10 minutes to reach the church. Other attractions in the area include the Piazza Walther and the Cathedral of Bolzano.