History buffs will enjoy exploring Gettysburg, and visitors give high marks for the fascinating museums, local tours, and college vibe. Tourists who journey to this quaint city can discover its theaters, restaurants, and ski areas. Top sights in the city include Gettysburg Battlefield Museum, Gettysburg National Military Park, and Liberty Mountain Ski Resort.
- There are 128 hotels and other accommodations in Gettysburg
- The closest major airport is in Hagerstown, MD (HGR-Hagerstown Regional), 28 mi (45 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Harrisburg, PA (HAR-Capital City), 33.5 mi (54 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Gettysburg
The city is well known for its museums and theaters, and cultural venues include Gettysburg Battlefield Museum, Gettysburg National Military Park, and Gettysburg Museum of History. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Gettysburg National Cemetery, Little Round Top, and Devil's Den. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Outlet Shoppes at Gettysburg, Chambersburg Mall, and Mr Ed’s Elephant Museum.
In Gettysburg, you'll find 128 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect vacation. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- The Inn at Ragged Edge - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and comfortable rooms.
- Battlefield Bed & Breakfast Inn - Our customers like the breakfast and quiet location at this B&B. With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Springhill Suites by Marriott Chambersburg - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Gettysburg include Liberty Mountain Ski Resort. Popular places to visit in the area include Ski Roundtop, located 25.2 mi (40.5 km) from the city center, and Carlisle Fairgrounds, which is 26.8 mi (43.1 km) away.
Dressing for Gettysburg
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 56°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 23°F
- From April to June, the average is 84°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 72°F as the daytime average and 24°F as the nighttime average
- About 43.23 inches of rain falls on Gettysburg each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 84°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 25°F