Travelers to Harrisonburg give high marks for the college vibe, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its sporting events. Top sights in the city include Massanutten Water Park and George Washington National Forest.
- There are 101 hotels and other accommodations in Harrisonburg
- The closest major airport is in Weyers Cave, VA (SHD-Shenandoah Valley Regional), 12.9 mi (20.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Charlottesville, VA (CHO-Charlottesville-Albemarle), 31.5 mi (50.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Harrisonburg
Cultural venues in the city include Explore More Discovery Museum, Virginia Quilt Museum, and Larkin Arts. Attractions like Massanutten Water Park, A Dream Come True Playground, and Rockingham Fairgrounds are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Port republic Battle Field, Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center, and Shenandoah Heritage Market.
In Harrisonburg, there are 101 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Silver Lake Bed & Breakfast - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and helpful staff.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Harrisonburg - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen.
- Hampton Inn Harrisonburg South - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Harrisonburg include George Washington National Forest. One of the top places to see in the surrounding area is Luray Caverns, 25.7 mi/41.3 km from the heart of the city.
Dressing for Harrisonburg
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 58°F during the day and 20°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 84°F, while the average at night is 34°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 85°F with nighttime averages of 47°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 71°F and nighttime averages of 21°F
- About 36.42 inches of rain falls on Harrisonburg each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 84°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 22°F