San Francisco Motels for the Frugal Traveler
You'll find 53 inexpensive motels in San Francisco among more than 818 hotels and other accommodations. When you pick one of these budget accommodations, you might not have many of the amenities found in a traditional hotel but you'll save more money to use for your vacation.
When you save on your room price, you can make the most of what San Francisco has to offer. Not-to-be-missed sights include Westfield San Francisco Centre, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and TransAmerica Pyramid.
Fun fact: Motels became more prevalent in the U.S. at the end of the 1940s with the popularity of car travel and road trip vacations, peaking in the 1960s with over 60,000 properties. When you stay at a motel, you'll usually access your room from an outside corridor overlooking the parking lot.
Below are a few of Expedia customers' favorite San Francisco motels to choose from:
Hotel Focus SFO
- Stay within a quick 4-minute drive of San Francisco Bay.
- Enjoy access to the fitness center, and freebies including breakfast, WiFi, and an airport shuttle.
Travelodge by Wyndham San Francisco Airport North
- A restaurant along with freebies like WiFi, parking, and an airport shuttle are available during your stay.
- It's located within a quick 3-minute drive of San Francisco Bay.
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
- Enjoy access to the restaurant, and freebies including breakfast, parking, and an airport shuttle.
- Stay within a quick 3-minute drive of San Francisco Bay.
Civic Center Motor Inn
- You'll be located within a 5-minute drive of Louise Davies Symphony Hall and Asian Art Museum of San Francisco.
- Free breakfast and an outdoor pool are available during your stay, along with room amenities like free WiFi.
- Stay within a 10-minute drive of San Francisco Bay and San Mateo County Event Center.
- Enjoy the in-room kitchenette, and freebies including breakfast, WiFi, and parking.
Things to Do in San Francisco
Check out the Chinatown district and enjoy the acclaimed theater scene in this vibrant area while you're sightseeing. People who've visited San Francisco love its monuments, shops, and museums.
Here are some popular places:
- Westfield San Francisco Centre
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- TransAmerica Pyramid
These are some of the parks and outdoorsy places:
- Palace of Fine Arts
- Presidio of San Francisco
- Twin Peaks
You'll find these family-friendly attractions:
- Aquarium of the Bay
- Pier 39
- San Francisco Zoo
San Francisco is also notable for its:
Best Time to Visit San Francisco
Decide when you'd like to visit San Francisco by reviewing these seasonal weather details:
- The hottest months are typically September and October, while December and January are the coldest months
- January-March: Daytime temperatures average 62° F and nighttime temperatures average 45° F
- April-June: 67° F is the daytime average and 49° F is the nighttime average
- July-September: Daytime averages are around 70° F and nighttime averages are around 53° F
- October-December: The average temperatures are 70° F during the day and 45° F at night
- Average rainfall is 23.15 inches in a year
How to Get to San Francisco and Around the Area
San Francisco Transportation
|Oakland, CA (OAK-Oakland Intl.) ||Airport ||11.8 mi (19.1 km) |
|San Francisco, CA (SFO-San Francisco Intl.) ||Airport ||11.9 mi (19.1 km) |
|Hayward, CA (HWD-Hayward Executive) ||Airport ||18.1 mi (29.2 km) |
|Powell St. Station ||Metro Station ||0.2 mi (0.3 km) |
|Montgomery St. Station ||Metro Station ||0.4 mi (0.6 km) |
|Civic Center Station ||Metro Station ||0.6 mi (1 km) |
|San Francisco 4th and King Station ||Train Station ||1 mi (1.7 km) |
|San Francisco 22nd Street Station ||Train Station ||2.2 mi (3.6 km) |
|San Francisco Bayshore Station ||Train Station ||5.4 mi (8.7 km) |