Visiting West Yellowstone
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring West Yellowstone, and visitors give high marks for the beautiful parks, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its museums. Old Faithful, Excelsior Geyser, and Grand Prismatic Spring are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 76 hotels and other accommodations in West Yellowstone
- The closest major airport is in West Yellowstone, MT (WYS-Yellowstone), 2.5 mi (4.1 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in West Yellowstone
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Yellowstone Historic Center, Yellowstone IMAX Theatre, and Playmill Theatre. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the parks and such places to visit as Yellowstone Park West Entrance and Caribou-Targhee National Forest. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center and Yellowstone Big Gun Fun.
In West Yellowstone, there are 76 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday getaway. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- 1872 Inn - Adults Exclusive - This 2.5-star hotel features free WiFi, free parking, and a fitness center. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Explorer Cabins At Yellowstone - Our customers like the proximity to shopping and comfortable beds at this resort. This 3.5-star resort features free WiFi, free parking, and a 24-hour front desk.
- WorldMark West Yellowstone - This 3.5-star condo features an indoor pool, free parking, and a fitness center. Expedia customers love its pool and room service.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Old Faithful, 19.1 mi/30.8 km from the heart of the city, and Excelsior Geyser, which is 15.8 mi/25.5 km away.
Dressing for West Yellowstone
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 41°F and the nighttime average to be 0°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 73°F during the day and 17°F at night
- July through September averages 79°F during the day and 24°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 59°F during the day and -2°F at night
- West Yellowstone gets about 22.83 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 76°F, while the coldest months are December and February with an average of 0°F