History buffs will enjoy exploring Allgaeu, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views and lakeside setting. Relaxing and walkable, this city also attracts tourists with its local tours. Top sights in the city include Hohenschwangau Castle, Neuschwanstein Castle, and Oberstdorf Ski Resort.
- There are 790 hotels and other accommodations in Allgaeu
- The closest major airport is in Memmingen (FMM-Allgaeu), 17.6 mi (28.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Friedrichshafen (FDH-Friedrichshafen - Lake Constance), 38 mi (61.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Allgaeu
Cultural venues in the city include Fuessen Music Hall, Archaeological Park Cambodunum, and Modeon Marktoberdorf. Attractions like Alpsee Bergwelt, Therme Bad Woerishofen, and Skyline Park are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Hohenschwangau Castle, Neuschwanstein Castle, and Ottobeuren Abbey.
In Allgaeu, there are 790 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Boutique Hotel Dreimäderlhaus - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free valet parking and a sauna, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Landhotel Guglhupf - Our customers love the first-rate property condition and walkable location at this hotel. Amenities at this hotel include free breakfast and free WiFi.
- Steigenberger Hotel Der Sonnenhof - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Unterallgäu can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 3 restaurants, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and helpful staff.
Other favorite sights in Allgaeu include Oberstdorf Ski Resort, Forggensee, and Königliche Kristall-Therme Schwangau. A popular place to see outside the city is Tannheimer Tal, located 19 mi (30.5 km) from the heart of the city.
Getting Around Allgaeu
If you want to see more of the area, ride aboard a train from Kempten (Allgäu) Ost Station, Kempten (Allgäu) Central Station, or Kempten St. Mang Station. Allgaeu might not have very many public transportation choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Allgaeu
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 53°F during the day and 20°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 67°F, while the average at night is 31°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 72°F with nighttime averages of 40°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 61°F and nighttime averages of 21°F
- About 0.94 inches of rain falls on Allgaeu each year
- Usually August and September are the hottest months with an average of 69°F, whereas February and March are often coldest, averaging 20°F