We had many issues with our stay here, and although we tried to address them with the owner before we posted this review, his responses were vague and he made it sound like he would give us a free stay to make up for it. When we asked him to clarify, he accused us of extortion and contacted Vrbo to try and have this review removed. Hopefully you are reading this! Here are 8 reasons not to rent here:
1. He didn’t know we were coming that day so we didn’t have the code when we arrived. It did not take long to get, but it did not seem like the place was truly ready for us. He just happened to be vacationing there himself too.
2. Any time we went down to the lake, his dogs barked loudly and often. We realize he tried pulling them back to stop them from barking, but eventually it made it so we didn’t want to go down to the lake. It was not enjoyable.
3. His family parked their vehicles in places where they obstructed the view of the lake from our cabin.
4. Even if we tried to ignore the dogs and went down to the lake, the beach was a disgusting mess. Not suitable for children or pets. We didn’t mind that it wasn’t bright and sunny, but we wanted our kids to be able to play in the sand and that wasn’t an option.
5. The floors under the beds were absolutely filthy. We had to block our dog and keep our kids from going under there. It felt like the whole place was disgusting as a result. Probably a decade or more of neglect.
6. There was no hot water on our last day. *We left a day early, by the way.
7. Throughout the day his children would walk between our car and cabin, a narrow gap which would often put them face to face with us in the screened-in porch. His whole family walked around like they own the place, (which, of course, they do). In addition to that lack of privacy, there were no blinds in the windows.
8. Overall, We feel that having anyone stay on the property while he and his family are vacationing there is inappropriate and awkward. No offense to them, but we wanted to go on a trip with our family, not his.