Travelers to Hilo give high marks for the volcano viewpoints, beaches, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its restaurants and local tours. Top sights in the city include Pacific Tsunami Museum, Lyman Museum, and Panaewa Rainforest Zoo.
- There are 94 hotels and other accommodations in Hilo
- The closest major airport is in Hilo, HI (ITO-Hilo Intl.), 3.2 mi (5.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Kamuela, HI (MUE-Waimea-Kohala), 42.5 mi (68.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Hilo
Cultural venues in the city include Pacific Tsunami Museum, Lyman Museum, and Imiloa Astronomy Center. The volcanoes, waterfalls, and gardens highlight the city's natural beauty, and Kalakaua Park, Lincoln Park, and Wailoa River State Park Hawaii are worth a visit. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Hilo Farmers Market, Hilo Shopping Center, and Prince Kuhio Plaza.
In Hilo, there are 94 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hilo Bay Oceanfront Bed and Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and room size.
- Old Hawaiian B and B - Our customers like the breakfast and proximity to the airport at this B&B. This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Hilo Bay Hale Bed and Breakfast - This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its proximity to shopping and comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Hilo include Panaewa Rainforest Zoo. Outside the city, top places to visit include Mauna Kea, 25.9 mi/41.7 km from the heart of the city, and Mauna Kea Observatory, which is 26.1 mi (42 km) away.
Dressing for Hilo
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 79°F and the nighttime average to be 63°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 83°F during the day and 65°F at night
- July through September averages 83°F during the day and 69°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 83°F during the day and 64°F at night
- Hilo gets about 126.69 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and September with an average temperature of 83°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 64°F