Olomouc’s Holy Trinity Column is an important symbol of the city, celebrating the power of the Roman Catholic Church. Occupying the center of the main square, this grandiose UNESCO-listed monument is one of the largest free-standing Baroque sculptures in central Europe.
The column was erected between 1716 and 1754 to honor God, the Roman Catholic Church and religious faith. It is one of the many “plague” columns that dot central Europe. They are so called because they were also built to give thanks to God for ending a plague epidemic.
The Holy Trinity Column reaches 115 feet (35 meters) above the ground. This landmark monument is a striking and eye-catching sight that often functions as meeting point for locals and tourists. Join the crowds milling around the base and inspect the exquisite carvings and reliefs.
Religious motifs cover the tiered monument. There are lots of stone sculptures and reliefs of saints, including some of those who played a part in the life of Jesus, such as St. John the Baptist. Look for carvings of Moravian saints, including St. Blaise, the patron saint of wool combers.
Other religious themes featured on the column include the Assumption of Mary, which depicts the Virgin being raised into Heaven by angels. At the top of the monument is a gilded statue of the Holy Trinity.
Venture inside the column to see the small chapel. Study its reliefs, most of which feature scenes from the Bible, such as the crucifixion of Jesus.
Come back to the monument at night when it is bathed in light and an even more spectacular sight.
The Holy Trinity Column is situated in Horní Náměstí, Olomouc’s main plaza, easily reached by public transportation. Other landmark sites to visit in the square are the Astronomical Clock and the Town Hall. Climb to the top of the Town Hall’s tower for an aerial perspective of the column.