Visitors to Madurai are sure to enjoy the temples. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments, riverfront, and festivals.
- There are 57 hotels and other accommodations in Madurai
- The closest major airport is in Madurai (IXM), 5.9 mi (9.5 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Madurai
The city is notable for its temples and landmarks like Meenakshi Amman Temple, Thirumalai Nayak Palace, and Vandiyur Mariamman Teppakulam. Additionally, you can explore the sights and enjoy the activities in the larger area.
In Madurai, you'll be able to select from 57 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. These are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai - This 4-star hotel features a full-service spa, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff.
- Astoria Hotels - Our customers like the helpful staff and location at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Heritage Madurai - With a stay at this 4.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 2 restaurants, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and room size.
Getting Around Madurai
If you'd like to explore more of the area, ride aboard a train from Madurai Junction Station, Madurai East Station, or Thiruparankundram Station. Madurai may not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Madurai
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 100°F during the day and 73°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 103°F, while the average at night is 81°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 100°F with nighttime averages of 80°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 95°F and nighttime averages of 74°F
- Average annual rainfall for Madurai is 32.99 inches
- Usually May and April are the hottest months with an average of 102°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 74°F