History buffs will enjoy exploring Assisi, and visitors give high marks for the cathedral. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its local tours. Top sights in the city include Roman Temple of Minerva, Cathedral of San Rufino, and Basilica of Santa Chiara.
- There are 240 hotels and other accommodations in Assisi
- The closest major airport is in Perugia (PEG-Sant Egidio), 5.8 mi (9.4 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Assisi
The city's cultural venues include Rocca Maggiore and Discovery Station Assisi. Its cathedral and historic sites are notable and landmarks include Roman Temple of Minerva, Cathedral of San Rufino, and Basilica of Santa Chiara. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Eremo delle Carceri and Piazza del Comune.
In Assisi, there are 240 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Assisium Agriturismo - Amenities at this country house include a winery and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and room size.
- All'Antica Mattonata - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this farm stay. Amenities at this farm stay include free parking and free WiFi.
- Il Fienile di Assisi - Amenities at this bed & breakfast include free breakfast and free WiFi.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Basilica San Pietro, located 11.3 mi (18.1 km) from the heart of the city, and Cathedral of S. Lorenzo, which is 11.7 mi (18.9 km) away.
Getting Around Assisi
To explore the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Assisi Station or Cannara Station. Assisi might not have very many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Assisi
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 61°F and the nighttime average to be 37°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 85°F during the day and 42°F at night
- July through September averages 89°F during the day and 56°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 76°F during the day and 39°F at night
- Assisi gets about 32.44 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 87°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 38°F