Travelers give high marks for the beaches in Hokitika, which is also known for its glaciers. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its aquarium.
- There are 21 hotels and other accommodations in Hokitika
- The closest major airport is in Hokitika (HKK), 6.1 mi (9.8 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Hokitika
The city is notable for landmarks like Hokitika Clock Tower, Hokitika Lighthouse, and Sunset Point. The beaches, sunsets, and glaciers highlight the city's natural beauty, and Lake Kaniere, Hokitika Beach, and Westcoast Treetop Walk are worth a visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are National Kiwi Centre and Hokitika Museum.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 21 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in Hokitika. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Fitzherbert Court Motel - With a stay at this 4-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a spa tub, along with a private spa tub. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Bella Vista Hokitika - Our customers like the beach locale and convenient parking at this motel. With a stay at this 4-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a free airport shuttle, along with free WiFi.
- Heritage Highway Motel - This 2.5-star motel features free WiFi, free parking, and laundry facilities. Expedia customers like its pool and proximity to shopping.
A top sight outside the city is Lake Brunner, 23.4 mi/37.7 km from the heart of the city.
Dressing for Hokitika
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 70°F and the nighttime average to be 47°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 64°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September averages 60°F during the day and 35°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 70°F during the day and 42°F at night
- Hokitika gets about 1.42 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually January and December with an average temperature of 69°F, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 36°F