Visiting Santiago de Compostela
History buffs will enjoy exploring Santiago de Compostela, and visitors give high marks for the cathedral. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its museums and cafés. Top sights in the city include Santiago de Compostela Cathedral and Obradoiro Square.
- There are 181 hotels and other accommodations in Santiago de Compostela
- The closest major airport is in Santiago de Compostela (SCQ-Lavacolla), 6.5 mi (10.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in La Coruna (LCG), 30.5 mi (49.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Santiago de Compostela
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Galería de Arte Contemporáneo José Lorenzo, Fundacion Eugenio Granell, and Fonseca College. Its cathedral and historic sites are notable and landmarks include Santiago de Compostela Cathedral, Obradoiro Square, and Estatua a Ramón María del Valle-Inclán. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Toural Square and Galicia Plaza.
In Santiago de Compostela, you'll find 181 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Hotel Spa Relais & Chateaux A Quinta da Auga - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with a free stocked minibar. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and breakfast.
- Casa Grande Do Bachao - Our customers like the breakfast and pool at this country house. This 4-star country house features a restaurant, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Altaïr Hotel - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a bar and a café, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers love its central location and spacious, comfortable rooms.
Getting Around Santiago de Compostela
With so many transportation options, seeing Santiago de Compostela is easy. Head to Santiago De Compostela Bus Station for metro transit. To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Santiago de Compostela Station.
Dressing for Santiago de Compostela
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 63°F and the nighttime average to be 41°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 75°F during the day and 43°F at night
- July through September averages 78°F during the day and 52°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 68°F during the day and 42°F at night
- Santiago de Compostela gets about 1.34 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 76°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 41°F