Visiting Chiang Rai
Visitors to Chiang Rai are sure to enjoy the temples, riverfront, and local tours. Tourists can also enjoy the city's waterfalls, monuments, and festivals. Top sights in the city include Wat Rong Khun, Wat Pra Singh, and Wat Phra Kaew.
- There are 286 hotels and other accommodations in Chiang Rai
- The closest major airport is in Chiang Rai (CEI-Chiang Rai Intl.), 4.6 mi (7.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Houayxay (HOE), 46.2 mi (74.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Chiang Rai
Cultural venues in the city include Oub Kham Museum, Black House Gallery, and Rai Chern Thawan Meditation Center. The city is notable for its temples and landmarks like Wat Rong Khun, Wat Pra Singh, and Wat Phra Kaew. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the riverfront and these places to visit: Singha Park, Pongphrabath Waterfall, and Pha Soet.
In Chiang Rai, there are 286 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect vacation. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Bambuh Boutique Homestay - This 3-star guesthouse features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and convenient parking.
- Bura Resort, Chiang Rai - Our customers like the breakfast and overall value at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with a private balcony.
- Connect Hostel - With a stay at this 2-star hostel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and self-service laundry, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Doi Tung Royal Villa, 26.4 mi/42.5 km from the city center, and Mae Fa Luang Botanical Garden, which is 26.5 mi (42.7 km) away.
Dressing for Chiang Rai
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 95°F during the day and 54°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 96°F, while the average at night is 66°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 89°F with nighttime averages of 71°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 87°F and nighttime averages of 53°F
- About 68.74 inches of rain falls on Chiang Rai each year
- Usually April and March are the hottest months with an average of 94°F, whereas December and February are often coldest, averaging 55°F