Visiting Kota Kinabalu
Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Kota Kinabalu, and visitors give high marks for the bustling marina and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its parks. Top sights in the city include Imago Shopping Mall, Sabah State Mosque, and Likas Stadium.
- There are 416 hotels and other accommodations in Kota Kinabalu
- The closest major airport is in Kota Kinabalu (BKI-Kota Kinabalu Intl.), 4.1 mi (6.6 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Kota Kinabalu
Cultural venues in the city include Sabah State Museum, Mari Mari Cultural Village, and Museum of Islamic Civilisation. Attractions like Lok Kawi Wildlife Park, Sedco Square, and Water World Theme Park are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Sabah State Mosque, Kota Kinabalu City Mosque, and Mount Kinabalu Park Entrance.
In Kota Kinabalu, there are 416 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort & Spa - This 5-star resort features 2 outdoor pools, a private beach, and 6 restaurants. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Gaya Island Resort - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this resort. With a stay at this 5-star resort, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with a private balcony.
- SKYPOD Hostel - With a stay at this 2-star hostel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and quiet location.
Other favorite sights in Kota Kinabalu include Imago Shopping Mall, Likas Stadium, and 1Borneo Hypermall.
Getting Around Kota Kinabalu
With so many ways to get around, exploring all of Kota Kinabalu is a breeze. To see more of the larger area, hop aboard a train at Tanjung Aru Station. You can find out about your water travel options at the local marina.
Dressing for Kota Kinabalu
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 87°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 76°F
- From April to June, the average is 89°F during the day and 76°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 88°F during the day and 76°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 87°F as the daytime average and 76°F as the nighttime average
- Kota Kinabalu gets about 3.66 inches of rain per year
- April and May are usually the hottest months averaging 89°F, while June and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 76°F