History buffs will enjoy exploring Montevideo, and visitors give high marks for the shopping. Culturally-rich and vibrant, this city also attracts tourists with its cafés.
- There are 139 hotels and other accommodations in Montevideo
- The closest major airport is in Montevideo (MVD-Carrasco Intl.), 10.8 mi (17.4 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Montevideo
Cultural venues in the city include Estévez Palace, Teatro Sobre Ruedas, and Salvo Palace. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Puerta de la Ciudadela, Montevideo Cabildo, and Montevideo Cathedral. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Louvre Antiques, Artisan Market, and Port Market.
In Montevideo, you'll find 139 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. Below are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Alma Histórica Boutique Hotel - Guests who stay at this 3.5-star hotel in Ciudad Vieja can enjoy access to a spa tub and a 24-hour business center, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and quiet location.
- Cottage Puerto Buceo City Hotel - Our customers like the pool and proximity to shopping at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Ciudadano Suites - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a café and concierge services, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and location.
Getting Around Montevideo
If you want to journey outside of the city, hop aboard a train from Montevideo Central Station, Montevideo Dr. Lorenzo Carnelli Station, or Montevideo Yatay Station. Montevideo might not have many public transportation choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Montevideo
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 83°F and the nighttime average to be 56°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 74°F during the day and 43°F at night
- July through September averages 65°F during the day and 43°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 81°F during the day and 47°F at night
- Montevideo gets about 37.72 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually January and February with an average temperature of 82°F, while the coldest months are August and July with an average of 43°F