Visitors to Cartago are sure to enjoy the coffeehouses. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cathedral, volcano viewpoints, and museums. Top sights around the area include Parque Nacional, National Museum of Costa Rica, and Jade Museum.
- There are 53 hotels and other accommodations in Cartago
- The closest major airport is in San Jose (SYQ-Tobias Bolanos Intl.), 16.2 mi (26 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Jose (SJO-Juan Santamaria Intl.), 21.4 mi (34.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Cartago
Notable city landmarks like Our Lady of the Angels Basilica and Ruins of Ujarras might be worth a visit. The city's natural beauty is on display at Irazu Volcano National Park, Lankester Botanical Garden, and Turrialba Volcano National Park. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Paseo Metrópoli and Terramall.
In Cartago, there are 53 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hotel Quelitales - This 3.5-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and breakfast.
- Guayabo Lodge - Our customers like the helpful staff and comfortable beds at this resort. With a stay at this 3-star resort, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- La Casona del Cafetal - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Parque Nacional, located 11.3 mi (18.2 km) from the city center, and National Museum of Costa Rica, which is 11.3 mi/18.2 km away.
Dressing for Cartago
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 61°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 84°F, while the average at night is 64°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 81°F with nighttime averages of 63°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 80°F and nighttime averages of 62°F
- Cartago gets about 72.76 inches of rain per year
- Usually April and May are the hottest months with an average of 83°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 62°F