Families will find kid-friendly activities in Champaign, and visitors give high marks for the college vibe, fun sporting events, and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its theaters, live music, and entertainment choices. A top sight in the city is State Farm Center.
- There are 68 hotels and other accommodations in Champaign
- The closest major airport is in Champaign, IL (CMI-University Of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Williard), 5.6 mi (9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Decatur, IL (DEC), 39 mi (62.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Champaign
The city is well known for its theaters and live music, and cultural venues include Anita Purves Nature Center, Chanute Air Museum, and Monticello Railway Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, University of Illinois Observatory, and Tribute to Olympic and Paralympic Athletes. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Marketplace is a favorite for retail therapy.
In Champaign, there are 68 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Champaign Garden Inn - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and quiet location.
- I Hotel And Conference Center - Our customers like the bar and overall value at this hotel. This 4-star hotel features a full-service spa, free breakfast, and a restaurant.
- Cobblestone Hotel & Suites - Paxton - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Champaign include State Farm Center.
Getting Around Champaign
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Champaign-Urbana Station or Rantoul Station. Champaign might not have very many public transportation choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Champaign
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 57°F during the day and 16°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 85°F, while the average at night is 36°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 85°F with nighttime averages of 48°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 72°F and nighttime averages of 18°F
- Champaign gets about 41.34 inches of rain per year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 84°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 19°F