We love everything about the holidays here at The Bear House! All of our apartments are decorated and our outdoor spaces a winter wonderland. Please come enjoy the season with us!
🐻 Welcome to the Historic Bear House Circa 1890! The best of everything!! Refined luxury, detailed amenities, large beautiful property. Walk to local restaurants, shops, grocery stores, hiking and biking trails, tourist attractions. Less than 4 miles from Aquarium, all downtown, mountain and waterfront activities.
Beautifully restored 120-year-old house and additional Carriage house with beautiful grounds. A rare opportunity to stay in a special historic property that adds to your trip experience; much more than simply a place to spend the night! Centrally located in Chattanooga in the trendy St Elmo Historic District, at the foot of Lookout Mountain.
The spacious and bright Johnson Retreat includes the entire private 2nd story of The Bear House (Wheland Wing and Workman Wing combined into one large space, 2200 square feet):
• Front and back private entrance.
• High quality, fully equipped kitchen for your cooking and dining needs with gas stove/oven, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator and washer and dryer. Small appliances include toaster, mixer, crock-pot and electric tea kettle. The basics are kept stocked for your convenience: paper towels, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, foils and plastic wrap, salt and pepper, spices, olive oil, canola oil, sugar.
• Living room with ample seating, game table, games, smart HDTV with Cable, Amazon Prime and Netflix.
• Resource center with writing desk, office supplies and reading corner.
• 2 Hospitality Centers with microwave, small refrigerator, Keurig with well stocked variety of coffee, teas and hot chocolate and related condiments, fresh fruit, chocolates, some breakfast items and snacks.
• 2 Dining areas for 4. Additional seating areas.
• 2 King bedroom, smart HDTV with Cable, Amazon Prime and Netflix, WiFi, ceiling fan with remote, luxury bedding and linens, full length mirror, luggage racks, water bottles, bedside radio/clock with 2 outlets and 2 ports for charging your devices.
• 2 Queen bedrooms, each with smart HDTV with Cable, Amazon Prime and Netflix, high speed WiFi, ceiling fan with remote, luxury bedding and linens, full length mirror, luggage rack, water bottles, bedside radio/clock with 2 outlets and 2 ports for charging your devices.
• 2 Full size bathrooms with large original soaking tubs, custom tile work, luxury towels and amenities, hair dryer.
• 1 Original shower room and dressing room, beautifully renovated with custom tile work, luxury towels and amenities.
Our spacious property offers many opportunities for gathering spaces outdoors. The large old-fashioned front porch, courtyard garden and gazebo are wonderful spots for morning coffee, a special evening meal, or a place to relax in a comfortable chair with a good book. The special garden areas and larger outdoor seating areas provide additional space for your enjoyment. Be sure to explore the carved bears placed around the property and hear their story! In the spring and summer, help yourself to the blackberries and small vegetable garden bounty. And don’t miss the scavenger hunt; over 40 sculptured animals roam the property for you to find.
Our beautiful large property sits on an entire block, front to back, in the charming St Elmo Historic District. There is the majestic main house called Historic Bear House 1890 (6500sqft) that consists of 3 other private apartments. My husband and I reside on the private first floor in the main house. Just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the main house, through the luscious courtyard, is the Carriage House (1600sqft) with 2 private apartments. With over 25 years experience in the rental property business, we specialize in a broad spectrum of lodging needs, from quick getaways, to out of town family and friends, to corporate rentals and short term rentals. With pampered on-site attention you’ll feel taken care of from your first inquiry until the end of your stay, whether it is a short trip or a few months.
Be sure to check out our other private apartments located here at the Historic Bear House 1890 property:
Workman Wing, 2 BR, 1BA, #1021491
Wheland Wing, 2 BR, 1BA, #1021450
Johnson Retreat, 4BR, 2BA, #1021232 (Workman & Wheland Wings combined)
Stinson Suite, 2BR, 1BA, #1076824
Lilly’s Loft, 1BR, 1BA, #1324077
Sherfey Suite, 1BR, 1BA, #1172405