Families will find kid-friendly activities in Effingham, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. This quaint city also attracts tourists with its university setting and shopping.
- There are 42 hotels and other accommodations in Effingham
- The closest major airport is in Decatur, IL (DEC), 52.3 mi (84.2 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Effingham
Cultural venues in the city include Effingham Performance Center, Mid America Motorworks, My Garage Museum, and Dr. Charles M. Wright Mansion. Favorite family attractions include Cross at the Crossroads and Effingham County Fairgrounds. The city is notable for landmarks like Veteran's Monument, World's Largest Bird Cage, and World's Largest Knitting Needles and Crochet Hook.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 42 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Effingham. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Eighteen-Ninety Sleepover - This 2.5-star hotel features free WiFi, free parking, and laundry facilities. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Lexington Inn & Suites Effingham - Our customers like the overall value and convenient parking at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Effingham - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Getting Around Effingham
To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Effingham Station or Mattoon Station. Effingham may not have many public transit options so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Effingham
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 58°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 17°F
- From April to June, the average is 86°F during the day and 37°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 87°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 73°F as the daytime average and 19°F as the nighttime average
- About 42.83 inches of rain falls on Effingham each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 86°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 20°F