Find Hotels in Illawarra
Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
You could be seeing lower prices
Reviewed on Nov 6, 2020
Where to stay in Illawarra
Walk, cycle or drive along the scenic coastline of this Illawarra town to see a heritage lighthouse, a stunning rocky headland and the famous Kiama Blowhole.
Enjoy the laid-back pace of this pretty New South Wales coastal town. Explore its varied coastline, scenic harbour, local markets and nearby native bushland reserve.
You'll enjoy the beaches and restaurants in Austinmer. You might want to make time for a stop at Sublime Point Track Trailhead or Austinmer Beach.
Travelers like the parks in Stanwell Tops, and Bald Hill Lookout is a top attraction you might want to visit.
North Wollongong is known for its beaches, and you can plan a trip to Stuart Park and North Wollongong Beach while you're in town.
Travelers to Illawarra give high marks for the beaches and abundant cafés. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its rainforests. Top sights in the city include Wollongong City Beach, North Wollongong Beach, and Jamberoo Action Park.
- There are 591 hotels and other accommodations in Illawarra
- The closest major airport is in Wollongong, NSW (WOL-Illawarra Regional), 11 mi (17.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Sydney, NSW (SYD-Kingsford Smith Intl.), 37.2 mi (59.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Illawarra
Cultural venues in the city include Wollongong Conservatorium of Music, Wollongong Science Centre and Planetarium, and Wollongong City Gallery. Attractions like Jamberoo Action Park, Symbio Wildlife Park, and Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Nan Tien Temple, Bulli Lookout, and Sea Cliff Bridge.
In Illawarra, you'll be able to select from 591 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Lyndon Haven - This 4.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and beach locale.
- Culburra Beach Motel - Our customers like the beach locale and clean, comfortable rooms at this motel. With a stay at this 3.5-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and concierge services, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- The Laurels B&B Kangaroo Valley - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Illawarra include Wollongong City Beach, North Wollongong Beach, and Kiama Blowhole. Popular places to visit outside the city include Cronulla Beach, 30 mi/48.2 km from the city center, and Wanda Beach, which is 30.7 mi/49.4 km away.
Getting Around Illawarra
With so many ways to get around, exploring Illawarra is simple. If you want to see more of the area, ride aboard a train from Wollongong Station, Fairy Meadow Station, or Cringila Station. You can find out about your water travel options at the port.
Dressing for Illawarra
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 78°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 58°F
- From April to June, the average is 73°F during the day and 45°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 67°F during the day and 42°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 78°F as the daytime average and 49°F as the nighttime average
- About 34.35 inches of rain falls on Illawarra each year
- November and December are usually the hottest months averaging 78°F, while July and August are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 44°F