Visitors to Stranraer are sure to enjoy the waterfront. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its archaeological sites.
- There are 64 hotels and other accommodations in Stranraer
- The closest major airport is in Belfast (BHD-George Best Belfast City), 36.9 mi (59.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Glasgow (PIK-Prestwick), 50.7 mi (81.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Stranraer
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the seaside and these places to visit: Logan Botanic Garden, Port Logan Beach, and Castle Kennedy Gardens. Taking a ferry is a top activity, and Cairnryan Port is one place to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Ardwell Gardens and Castle of St John.
In Stranraer, you'll be able to select from 64 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Thornbank House - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to an indoor pool and a spa tub, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and bathrooms.
- Fernlea Guest House - Our customers love the breakfast and spacious, clean rooms at this guesthouse. Amenities at this 4-star guesthouse include free WiFi and free parking.
- Rhins of Galloway - With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Getting Around Stranraer
With so many transportation options, seeing all of Stranraer is a breeze. To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Stranraer Station. You can catch a ferry from the port.
Dressing for Stranraer
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 49°F and the nighttime average to be 38°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 63°F during the day and 40°F at night
- July through September averages 64°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 58°F during the day and 41°F at night
- Stranraer gets about 0.98 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 63°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 39°F